April 30, 2017

Going in Circles

In a good way, I promise!

Last weekend I headed down to the Mane Event and picked up a fancy new bridle since the one we had didn't fit. Hubby doesn't want me having a collection of bridles for one horse (how little he understands lol) and said "get the one you ultimately want." Don't have to tell me that twice! Gossip now has a beautiful dressage bridle complete with champagne coloured crystals to offset her dun colouring. The Mane Event is the place to go if you want to comparison shop, and I did exactly that. I had to laugh... I wound up buying it from my favourite tack shop that's like 15 minutes from my house. Yup, I drove almost 2 hours to buy a bridle from them. It was worth the trip!

So today's first mission after a cursory grooming was to try on said bridle, with many prayers for a good fit.


That'll work!

It was nice to have someone there to hold her for a picture!

Once she was bridled, we took the horses up to the arena area where the round pen, trail bridge, and some ground poles are set up. The others rode in the main area, while I took Gossip into the round pen and worked with her. It was her first time being round penned, and it went really well. There was some distraction from the main herd running and playing as well as the horses being ridden, but she mostly stayed focused on me. I worked her in both directions (tracking right is definitely her weaker side, so we worked in that direction a little more) and was able to turn and stop her using just my body and a swinging leadrope. It made her work a bit, and think, and deal with the bridle on her face and bit in her mouth in a different context than just standing being groomed wearing it. It felt like we did a lot of circles (in reality it was *maybe* 10 minutes) but by the end she was softer and responsive, and she came to me and followed too. I was so happy with her today!

No comments: